- Yoga? – No too stiff and sleepy
- Triathlon?- No I swim like a drowning person
- Duathlon?- No, not yet, but not ruling this out
- Swimming the channel?- see point 2
- Mountain climbing? – terrified of heights wouldn’t get off the floor
- Pot holing?- god no, too dark, wet and terrifying
- Coasteering? – see point 2
- Orienteering? – map reading skills of very lost person, can take the wrong turning out of public toilets and usually end up trying the cleaning cupboard door!
- Golf?- zzzzzzzzzz
- Canoeing?- having capsized several times as a teenager without being taught to right myself, this is a resounding no.
Tomorrow I am trying something new, but no none of the above. Tomorrow I shall run 13.1 miles, nothing new in that really. Tomorrow I shall run Yeovil Half Marathon, I haven’t done this one before but this is not the something new. Tomorrow I shall run Yeovil Half Marathon in a Giraffe Onesie, now that is something new, for me anyway. I have never dressed in anything other than running kit, when running. I don’t really like ‘dress up’!!! So how did this come about and what is the rationale behind this if any?
Several weeks ago, a friend from running club sent out an email, asking for Volunteers to run Bath Half in aid of the Charity she works for South West Ambulance Services, I stuck my hand up, slooooooowly! Being not very half marathon fit at the moment, I needed an excuse to run it, but run it badly! Light bulb moment. Fancy dress! Much time was spent on the WWW researching costumes to wear, I ruled out the skimpily dressed bar maid out fit (you are welcome) the Rhino costume and carrying a washing machine on my back! Eventually came up the Giraffe Onesie idea. That way I would be a Giraffe in Bath!!!!!
I was very aware that many friends and family have sponsored me before and club members should be donating to the club runner who is doing VLM this year, so I came up with the idea that if I would run in the onesie ONLY if I got 20 donations of £5. Needless to say due some lovely (mmmmm) people I was soon bidding on a onesie on Ebay.
Sadly due to some non UK type weather, (Snow snow and more snow) Bath Half was cancelled. Shame really as freezing cold temperatures would have meant I would have been snug and smug all at once.
Having raised over £300 I felt the need to book in on something else QUICK and to notify the sponsors, so that is why I am heading out to Yeovil tomorrow at the crack of dawn (the clock change plus a 9 am start is not a great combination!)
The day is set to be dry, thank goodness, but warmer than I would like. The onesie is made for someone of Giraffe stature rather than my Hippoesque one, this means the crotch is down by knees and running is going to more of a waddle. Think penguin! BUT I have my body glide packed and my smile so what could go wrong?!