This week work has been slow, it is very much the calm before the storm, so I decided that to prevent another day staring at a lap top, I would take the day off to fit in a long slow run. The forecast was good and I was looking forward to it.
The run soon turned in to ‘How many Public toilets can I utilise during my run?‘, the answer is 5! Still can’t believe that I am full of that much ****!
I have come to the conclusion public toilets are like Ploughmans (yes really wait for it), some are all singing all dancing, with loo roll, clean, flushing, water, soap, dryers, door locks others are sparse on all. I love a Ploughmans but these too can vary some pubs you get a huge piece of fresh bread, a slab of cheese, home made chutney, fresh salad, and it looks like this
simply the best ploughmans I’ve had. Other pubs the portions are meagre, produce far from fresh and the chutney tasteless.
Todays loos were a varied bunch in order of usage they are
- Newton Poppleford Car Park Ladies
- Otterton Mill disabled toilet (I know I couldn’t find the ladies and things were tricky at this stage and it was before 9 so thought it would be ok)
- Budleigh Salteron Ladies – half way up the hill
- Exmouth Ladies by the Lifeboat station
- Exmouth Ladies in the bus station
In order of good I recommend a visit, to bad avoid if you can, which clearly I couldn’t!
- Otterton Mill:- Very clean, large cubicle, soap, hot and cold water and hand towels, yes a nice spot to place your bum if required
- Budleigh Salteron:- The upside was if was half way up a hill which meant I had to running, the downside were the steps down in to the ladies. Clean, good flush.
- Newton Poppleford:- Bit dark in these ones and the loo roll took some finding, but if you are taller than 5ft 3″ this won’t be a problem
- Exmouth Ladies, bus station:- I was in this one so long I am surprised they did not charge me rent. There was no cold water for my hydration pack, I was past caring and couldn’t see a ‘not fit for drinking sign’ and things couldn’t get worse. Otherwise not too bad
- Exmouth Ladies by Lifeboat station:-First two loos blocked, no paper, and once of those silly press button for soap/water/air things that I always mess up and end up drying my hands with soap.
So there you have it the inside information on the loos in East Devon.
I did manage 23 miles, it did take me forever mainly because I spent a lot of time sitting! That’s it now, I am going to be mainly running short for the next three weeks. Here are some pics from today, just be thankful they are of the countryside!