After last weeks 50k, which I surprisingly enjoyed immensely. My thoughts turned to the next planned Ultra in September. I was still up for it until about Wednesday.
- The old body had recovered well so it wasn’t that, that changed my mind.
- It wasn’t checking out the route on Sunday with hubby and coming across this climb that would appear at mile 18 ish that put me off.
- It wasn’t going for a 20 mile run yesterday and returning home after 10 miles despondent and not in love with running at all
Nope none of those. Why the change of heart?
- 55 miles is another 25 miles and 5 plus hours of running, that’s a long way and a long time
- I checked out the route more carefully, it deviates near the finish line goes beyond the finish, before heading back for final 17 miles, this would not help me at all.
- I looked at the calendar and realistically I only have two weekends left before the run to fit in long runs, the small matter of a family holiday looming up means there is two weekends without training
- I have just entered the Great West Run, this is mid October and as this will be my third time doing it, I want to get a better time, this will be my focus. Time for some speed work.
All is not lost though, instead of doing the Ultra City to Sea I will do the marathon distance instead. Taking in most of the coastal path oh and that mountain pictured above!