As a mother and a wife I spend a lot of time talking to myself, but yesterday the day of the ‘big 10K’ (ok not actually big in numbers or importantness the big was in my head) the chatting was incessant. The day was busy with packing sorting and cleaning with the holiday fast approaching and preparing for the relics to house sit, but the talking was there in the background, at every opportunity!
Before the Run
- You will be fine
- What are you fretting about
- I feel sick
- Where are the wet suits?
- When am I going to eat, should I eat?
- Best stop drinking water or it will get messy
- Wish I did not have to wear the club vest hate the colours (think Man Utd kit!) and its so uncomfy
- Need to do a long run tomorrow
- Why do I do this?
- Does it matter if I don’t get a PB?
During the run (This is one I did last year, it’s flat!)
- Oh my goodness that was a stupidly fast first mile Shaz
- This head wind is tough and I will get it again on the second lap
- Shoulders down
- Use your arms
- Head up, Shaz, head up
- Nice to get a cheer from the kids
- Oh there is the older lady I try and beat from parkrun how lovely to get a cheer from her
- Not long now hang in there
- There is the guy from the club who is injured, great to have him run me in and what’s more not to talk to me
- Where is Madam I need that diet coke NOW
- Wow, Wow Wow a PB by 6 minutes, cannot believe it! Phew. Sub 50 minutes next time then and I look forward to more internal conversations!