The Runners World dropped on to the door mat yesterday. I must admit I was reluctant to open it, wondering what the point was, but there was a free gift enclosed, I was eager to find out what it was so tore it open. It was a recovery drink mix, lets hope I get to do something at some point that needs to be recovered from (not sure climbing out of bed counts) so get to use it before its expiry date.
On flicking through the mag I discovered an article on how to cope with injuries-how did they know? It seems there are 5 stages that I need to progress through purposefully and that way will heal faster. Read on shaz I thought read on. Well here are the stages:-
- Denial-check-at the first sign of injury stop running, yep done that (ok so so maybe ‘first sign’ is an exaggeration but I did stop-eventually)
- Anger -check-be angry for few days and then move on (ok still little peeved but working on it) set recovery goal, mine has been to do all exercises physio sets, so far so good.
- Bargaining-not check but nearly-Wanting to come back quicker so do more than should-have scrapped the run I had planned for Sunday now (dam)
- Depression-missing the endorphin fix, feeling cut off from running community, the cure for this is find another activity hence swimming and possibly biking this week and more blogging and blog reading to keep up with runners.
- Acceptance– I need to find peace apparently as anxiety causes muscle tension. Might need some help with this though either through Valium or wine.
I deny that I am angry, or depressed, I accept that I wont be running for a while yet, sorted, now pass the wine!